Pages

Monday 13 September 2021

Lock down scavenger hunt

 Lockdown 2021

  • Government confirmed the Covid-19 variant infecting people in the North Shore was closely matched to Covid found in a recent returnee from Sydney in managed isolation.

  • “Now we can be fairly certain how and when the virus came into the country,” Ardern said.        ↓↓

  • That person arrived on August 7 – meaning it was unlikely the disease had been spreading for weeks, as was earlier feared.

  • Five community vaccination centres in Auckland are closed today because staff have been diverted to help at Covid-19 testing centres.


Manurewa, Ōtara, Westgate, and Tamaki  are open for vaccination. 

The closed centres are Birkenhead, Highbrook, Pukekohe and Takanini. Almost all general practices remain open.


  • “Based on timelines, there are minimal missing links between this returnee and the cases in our current outbreak, and the period in which cases were in the community is relatively short.”

Yet the high number of locations visited by the community cases, and the infectiousness of the Delta strain, mean New Zealand is not out of the woods.

To Do!

  1. Highlight (in yellow), the suffixes in all the underlined words above.

  2. One of the underlined words also has a prefix. Which word is that? 

  3. Remembering that a compound word is made up of 2 (sometimes more) base words (e.g. grandfather; into) find 5 compound words in the text about Covid above.

i) Highbrook                                      ii)Birkenhead                        iii)Timeline

 iv) Outbreak                                    v)Westgate

5.  Highlight (in blue) capital/uppercase letters that begin proper nouns in the text (e.g. Auckland). Do not highlight capital/uppercase letters that begin sentences/statements/questions.

6. Highlight (in red) a quote from the Prime Minister (clue: you will spot speech/quotation marks). 

7. Based on the reporting about Covid, find your own words and write 5 sentences about how this lockdown has been for you. 

 

My lockdown was very boring because all I would do is just lie down and play Call Of Duty. Our zoom calls were different because we were usually so close but I felt sad because I wasn’t with my friends at school. But I kind of liked lockdown because I got to spend time with my family and home and get closer to each other


No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something helpful- how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.